Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Healthy Desserts with Grilled Pineapple

This post was originally published as Day 2: Healthy Desserts by Laurel on Health Food blog.”

It’s Day 2! I’ve been dying to grill some more fruit on my Calphalon grill pan, so I picked up fresh pineapple slices at Trader Joe’s on my way home from the gym. I had a pretty frustrating and stressful day of work (typical Monday), so a long cardio workout and homemade dessert were exactly what I needed. This one is perfect for those of you that don’t have a lot of time. You can make it in 5 minutes or less and it requires zero preparation.
Grilled Pineapple w/ Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream & Cacao Nibs
(makes 2 servings)
Grilled Pineapple, Coconut Ice Cream, Cacao Nibs4 long slices of grilled pineapple (about 4-in. long by 1-in. wide)
1 cup coconut milk ice cream, vanilla flavor
1 tbsp. cacao nibs
1 tbsp. coconut oil

Drizzle the coconut oil in a heated grill pan (or on a gas grill). Place pineapple slices on the grill and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown. Place 2 slices in each bowl and scoop vanilla coconut ice cream on top of the pineapple slices. Then sprinkle cacao nibs on top. Serve immediately.

Tip 1: To save time, buy pre-cut pineapple slices.  
Tip 2: My favorite vanilla coconut milk ice cream is Coconut Bliss’ Vanilla Island. It has the perfect silky, creamy texture and simple ingredients.  
Tip 3: You can find cacao nibs at any health food store. They are crushed up cacao beans (real chocolate) and are packed with superfood nutrition!

To see a very similar dessert I made this summer, check out my Grilled Peaches with Coconut Milk Ice Cream recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment