Thursday, January 13, 2011

Burgers & Fries

"This post was originally published as Burgers & Fries! byLaurel on Health Foodblog."

Laurel on Health Food  is a blog about nutrition, healthy eating, and health food. It summarizes articles in the news, lists healthy recipes, offers tips and personal feedback on healthy eating, and reports on nutritional research.

For the burger, I found some surprisingly light and fluffy sprouted wheat hamburger buns at the health food store. If you can’t find them, just go for a regular whole wheat or whole grain bun. For the meat, I bought lean organic grass-fed ground beef. Buying organic is definitely worth it for a burger. I cooked it on my favorite non-stick grill pan right on the stovetop. To replace mayo, I mashed up a ripe avocado, added a squirt of lemon, and spread a thick layer on one side of the bun. For my other toppings I used romaine lettuce, tomato, grilled onion slices, mustard, and salt & pepper. It was so yummy!


For the fries, I cut up a sweet potato into thin strips and spread them out on a sheet pan. Then I sprinkled salt, pepper, and olive oil on top and tossed them around until all the sides were seasoned. I cooked them in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (stirring them twice during baking). When they were fresh out of the oven, I drizzled a thin stream of honey on top. Ooh baby!


I hope you enjoyed this post, and maybe it will inspire you to indulge every once in awhile. I know I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment